Bored with Running? Training for a 5K, 10K, Half Marathon, or Marathon?


Has social distancing affected your training? It has for me! I was training six days a week, alternating between cycling, running, and strength training. Historically, my cardio and endurance training has been made up of primarily 45-90 minute cycling sessions, as an instructor or participant. This has allowed me to focus on my long runs once a week and continue to increase my mileage each week as we are heading into race season. Cross training has kept me from burn out and injury. Now, I am running for any type of cardio as I do have a treadmill in my basement. Am I bored already? Yep! So how can you mix up your runs so you don't become bored with or even begin to hate running? Not two runs will ever by the same, but try and focus on pace one day, incline another day, and your long run should focus on keeping a steady pace as it is all about endurance. Remember, think marathon, not a sprint! ;) Another option that I have been implementing more frequently is interval training. I have listed my most recent run below as well as a Copenhagen HIIT Run.

My Most Recent HIIT Run:
My most recent run consisted of one minute at 4.0 MPH, one minute at 6.0 MPH, and one minute at 8.0 MPH. Continually changing the pace, makes the run go by faster. Plus, High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) while running can be beneficial for your health and training process.

Copenhagen (10-20-30) HIIT Run:
5-minute intervals using the 10-20-30 formula--pace just below threshold for 30 seconds, pace at threshold for 20 seconds, and all out effort or sprint for 10 seconds. Then, run at a steady pace for two minutes just below or at threshold. As a reminder, at threshold would be the pace that you could maintain for an endurance run or ride of an hour.

Benefits of HIIT:
HIIT can push you to your limits! We all know that we are more likely to push ourselves harder if we know the pain is only for a limited time. Dr. Cedric X. Bryant, ACE’s chief science officer, says, “We’ve seen how adding speed runs to the workouts of moderately trained runners will not only help them run faster, but are necessary for them to do so,” Bryant explains. “This is true across a wide range of running distances. [10-20-30] is just another, efficient spin on HIIT.”

Your turn... What have you done to decrease monotonousness and keep your passion for running?

Have a great day, guys, and stay healthy!

Until next time,

Ashley

Comments

Popular Posts